For those of you new to this wedding stuff, a first look is exactly what it sounds like – when you set up a time before the wedding ceremony to see your partner and take photos before the hubbub of the day really begins. Many couples are wary of this because they think it’s going to take away from that walk-down-the-aisle moment – I’m here to tell you it absolutely does not, and just why it’s so awesome. And you can trust me on this one, because I took my own advice on my wedding day. Actually, it’s one of my fondest memories of the day. So. Why are first looks so awesome?
1. They allow you the chance to have whatever reaction you want to seeing the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. So if you want to jump up and down, or whisper sweet nothings in your partner’s ear, or dance for awhile, you can – without any fear that your grandma or your great uncle is watching.
2. A first look gives you the chance to recharge. Your wedding day is going to be full of people who want to catch up, share their joy with you, and help you check everything off that list of yours before the ceremony. It’s a wonderful chaos, but having a moment alone with your partner is an absolute dream by the time you’ve been at the finishing touch, primping, and entertaining thing since early in the morning.
3. The photos are amazing. Any makeup you’re wearing is fresh, nothing has had the chance to spill and stain your clothes, and there’s time to hit up a few locations without worrying that you’re behind schedule. A few great portraits are easy to come by in almost any amount of time, but if you want any sort of variety, it’s worth blocking off half an hour or more for photos of just the two of you.
4. You can start on bridal party/family photos once you’re doing with couples portraits. This is especially awesome because it leads into my last and final point…
5. If you get all of this done before the ceremony, it means that after you kiss to make it official, you can party non-stop – no worrying about your guests getting antsy when photos run long while they’re waiting for dinner, or getting jealous that they have an ice cold beer in hand while you’re working your way through your fifth family photo of the night. Any photos that you want to sneak away for will be added bonuses, not something you have to worry about missing.